httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject why?? (was: Re: Config tree code finished.)
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:16:34 GMT
On 26 Apr 2000, Ben Hyde wrote:
> Presumably the core idea of this tree thing is to create something
> slightly better than a tokenized config file, that has some structure
> that we can then say "Oh yeah!  Let's call that the XML!"

No. The tree is an internal, format-neutral form to represent the
configuration.

DATA(FORMAT) -> TREE -> APACHE

The theory is that the format can be altered without large repercussions
on the Apache code.

Note all the crap that I ripped out of http_core.c that dealt with
open/close parsing of the config file. All that is gone, and http_core
will never notice if/when somebody constructs the config tree from an
LDAP, XML, or SNMP source. That wasn't possible before.

[ and it really cleaned up http_core... just read the comments that I was
  able to torch :-) ]

> This wouldn't raise the semantic level much from the
> current config file.

Not intended to. It is a representation of the current config semantics.
In the future, we may be able to layer on more stuff. But individual steps
are important since we can't do it ALL in one step.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/