httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: external config processing
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:12:00 GMT
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Jim Winstead wrote:
> On Apr 26, Greg Stein wrote:
> > IMO, I think it is better to "include the batteries" rather than saying
> > "we won't do that -- use an external script." If that were the case, then
> > we should rip out everything under modules/ and tell people "go get the
> > stuff you need; it does not come standard with Apache."
> >
> > People want to install and run. External processors and config
> > manipulators simply make that more difficult for Average Joe.
>
> Just because a "programmable" configuration system could be external
> to the httpd process doesn't mean it can't be integrated into the
> source/binary releases (like all the existing support tools) and
> the apachectl script.

If we're going to write the code, then why shove it into an completely new
tool?

I find it rather silly to write code to support Config Format X, but dump
that off into a separate tool. The code is going to live somewhere. Why
shouldn't I place it into Apache itself?

Code is code. It isn't going to make anything simpler if I have to draw an
artificial line on where the code should fall. I still have to write and
maintain the stuff.

> In that case, Average Joe wouldn't know it is external, but Smart

Yah. Right. Until the path gets screwed up. Or when somebody goes to chown
Apache for some purpose, but misses this external tool.

Making something external, yet the same under the covers, simply argues to
truly making it the same chunk of code.

> Jill could plug in a configuration generator that used her language
> du jour, or talked to her database, or talked to an LDAP server, or
> whatever.

Fine. She can do this. But Joe uses builtin, native Apache functionality.

> In fact, I suspect some (many?) larger Apache installations already
> do that sort of thing. I know we at HomePage.com do.

Yah, and I don't. Neither of these facts say anything.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/