httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: 2.0 naming
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:51:58 GMT
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> The complete list you submitted looks to long to toss as one patch.

i know, i plan to do the renaming in small groups, which is why i started
with just the hook #defines.

> Many look like Standard C names, but I didn't dig into them.  To

yeah, i will dig into them to make sure before any renaming.

> make it manageable, can I suggest focusing on the APR declared
> names first, before tackling httpd?

sure.

> The following names are problematic...
>
> > 1. API_EXPORT
> > 1. API_EXPORT_NONSTD
> > 1. MODULE_VAR_EXPORT
> > 1. API_VAR_EXPORT
> > 1. CORE_EXPORT
> > 1. CORE_EXPORT_NONSTD
>
> API_* will become one of TWO different sets of names, and I was
> going to kep API_* for the Apache core componenents.  CORE_*
> wrappers are actually notes to the implementor, not really any
> different from API_ wrappers.  *_VAR_EXPORT really should
> become *_EXPORT_VAR, and MODULE_VAR_EXPORT become simply EXPORT_VAR,
> since it is involitale (it won't change by context.)
>
> All API_* declarations in the apr library headers were to become
> APR_*.  I don't care if these become AP_ instead, however. The
> point is they must be split, and declarations for APR_ (or AP_)
> updated in the apr header files.

you sorta lost me, can i leave those names for you to tackle?

personally, i'd like to see the AP_ prefix used in apr as well, as all the
functions are prefixed ap_ and not apr_.  but, i probably missed that
discussion already.