httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Can we replace expat-lite?
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:10:31 GMT
On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Pier P. Fumagalli wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > > In 2.0, we are still using expat-lite for our XML parser.  Can and should
> > > we replace this with one of the Apache projects?
> > >
> > > Waiting for the flames.  :-)
> >
> > I don't believe any of the xml.apache.org parsers are C-based. IMO, that
> > is a pre-requisite.
>
> There's a C/C++ parser version of the XML parser... xerces-c... seems
> also to work pretty well :) :) :)

Isn't that XML4C from IBM? If so, then its core is C++. That stuff is
going to be a bit difficult to integrate into Apache. We have enough
problems with C compilers, let alone C++ compilers :-)

[ I quickly looked at XML4C last year. BIG. REALLY big. if xerces is
  something else... well, then it deserves a review. but it should be
  *plain* C code. ]

IMO, it would be "nice" to allow arbitrary parsers, but I don't see a big
need for it. It would be a bit easier to drop in arbitrary parsers if we
had a small layer over the top of the parser (e.g. dav_xmlparse.c) that
Apache code could use.

I think the point here is: what is broken? what is the advantage of
switching? for ASF political correctness? :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/