httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: I'm changing my mind about config modules
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:39:27 GMT
On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 12:11:00PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > > For the record, step two here is not trivial.  It requires modifying how
> > > containers work, because currently containers actually read from the
> > > config file, and we don't want that in the new model.  For that reason, I
> > > am not continuing with this work until the group reaches the conclsuion
> > > that I should, or until my other current project is done, which ever comes
> > > first.
> >
> > All the more reason to complete the work. By distributing the config
> > reading process in the current model, it prevents us from doing things
> > such as Manoj's simplified config syntax.
>
> Why? I don't see a problem with it.

Hmm. My text wasn't clear. Lemme try again...

In Apache's current code base, reading and processing the config file is
distributed all over Apache and some modules. Each of these chunks of code
is very specific to the current Apache format. To change the syntax
requires changing all these pieces. Even worse, we have no control over
third-party modules which are following this pattern.

Therefore: it is best to get this revamp done, so that Apache itself and
various modules have no knowledge of the config file format. At that
point, we have a single location to change should we desire to change the
config file format.

Cheers,
-g

--