httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: I'm changing my mind about config modules
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:00:05 GMT
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > If you want dynamic config, then by all means. But I would recommend that
> > we proceed on the current path to get you there.
>
> I'd still love to see some sort of API for tweaking the config
> dynamically.  My main reason being that I want to be able to manage web
> servers the same way I manage routers and switches through a network
> management tool.  Therefore being able to do an snmpset to increase
> MaxClients on the fly, for example, would be cool.

I think there are a lot of people who would be into this. Nothing we are
doing is going to prevent dynamic config. In fact, just the opposite: the
configuration tree that Apache will keep provides the basis for this kind
of dynamic config.

One way could be that modules do not "internalize" the config like they do
now, but only keep references to the central config tree. In that way, any
changes to the tree are immediately reflected in the module's operation.

But the nasty part, and a big reason why we punted at this time, is
getting that tree changed. Consider the fact that Apache has multiple
processes. When a client connects and requests a change to the tree, it is
to one of the child. That change must be propagated to the parent process,
the change takes place, then the parent must fork a new set of children.

Given the re-fork, you're basically talking about a graceful restart. At
that point, you may as well decide to just punt the whole dynamic config
and go back to re-reading a (changed) config file.

But hey... maybe somebody will have a better idea...

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/