httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvsweb deprecated (was: reminder: 1.3 bugdb still completely broken)
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:16:51 GMT
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, yanni wrote:
> Also, the version of cvsweb at the locations noted is the newer Henner
> version, not the "old cvsweb interface"...

*nod* ViewCVS is the same, plus some. A big new feature arriving over the
next few weeks, it will be picking up Bonsai-like query facilities (based
on some work by Jay Painter)... I'm looking forward to it :-)

> Also, I would to see an addition to viewcvs that would allow you to show
> only project specific CVS's...ie:
>
> if you go to jakarta.apache.org, you only see jakarta related CVSROOT's.

Easy enough. There are several possibilities:

1) No code changes.

   On a per-configuration basis, this is easily done (there are a few
   modules that are already being filtered). If we added a config file for
   Jakarta and a copy of viewcvs.cgi (or symlink to
   www.apache.org/websrc/viewcvs.cgi), then we'd be set. The Jakarta
   config would only display the Jakarta modules.

2) No code changes.

   Continue with your current mechanism: have links directly into the
   Jakarta CVS modules. Note that your current scenario allows people to
   follow the link, then step "up" to all the Apache CVS modules. ViewCVS
   can replicate this scenario easily.

3) Minor code changes. Add an Alias mapping jakarta.apache.org/websrc/ to
   www.apache.org/websrc/ and have ViewCVS key off HTTP_HOST.

Which would you prefer? Option (3) implies that viewcvs.cgi and its config
file would reside in the apache-site repository, which means that I could
continue administration, maintenance, and updates for Apache, Jakarta,
etc. as a whole. When I installed ViewCVS, I stepped forward to support
it, too, so it's no big deal on my part.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/