httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: pool vs. context
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 18:55:47 GMT
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > (snip)
> >
> > Didn't miss your point, because that's exactly what I did with the code I
> > posted yesterday.  :-)
> >
> > Now, I would really like to get a group consensus before I commit the big
> > change to go from contexts back to pools.  I have a +1 from dean, a +0
> > from me, a +0 from Roy and what I think a -1 or -0 from Greg.  Would
> > anybody else like to speak up?  If not, I will commit the big change
> > tomorrow sometime.  :-)
> >
> Sure. +1. Whether Greg's a -1 or not makes a difference, yes?

The contexts hold more semantic items than memory pools. I don't think
they should be called pools. I am somewhere between -1 and -0... I'm not
quite sure. Say -0.5 -- I really don't think they should be called pools,
I don't think we should change them, but I'm not vehemently against it and
wouldn't want to hold up a large consensus. So... how many +1 votes are
out there?

> Just don't lose the contexts. I don't care what we call them.

The user data is a necessary requirement. I've wanted to use them to pass
items from one hook to another -- the best way to do this is drop the data
into the request context.

Cheers,
-g

--