httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject RE: Configuration modules...
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2000 18:35:38 GMT
On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > 1)  Build an internal represenation while we configure the
> > server.  --  In this step, the internal rep is not used to
> > configure the server, we are just building it as we read in
> > the config file.  The internal rep is discussed later.
> I see one big initial problem with this structure...
> 1) RAW_ARGS - this doesn't fit into anyone's config model.  If

In the proposal, this is simply a directive with a single argument -- the
whole args string. Not a problem at all.

>    We fundimentally need to kill RAW_ARGS before we can discuss
>    anything about this new model for httpd vs. XML config.

Well, we don't need to kill it (per above). But reducing our dependence on
RAW_ARGS certainly wouldn't suck.

> We still seem to be discussing data structures.  I really think,
> when it comes to the dozens of permutations that specific modules
> may require, that we should be discussing an api.  We have a

First things first. The plan calls for the data structures first, APIs
second. We need to figure out what kinds of operations will be performed
against it. Building data structures does not preclude APIs.

Greg Stein,

View raw message