httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/lib Makefile.in apr_slack.c
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 16:59:56 GMT
On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> rbb@locus.apache.org wrote:
> >
> >   Remove the slack stuff from APR.  This isn't actually used
> >   anywhere in Apache 2.0 anymore.
>
> Are we back to only including things in APR that the HTTP server
> needs?  I thought APR was supposed to provide portability; if
> the HTTP server needed this in 1.3, is it safe to assume that
> no-one else will ever want/need it?

I actually asked about the slack stuff a while ago, and Dean's response
was that it wasn't needed.  Here is a basica run-down of his reasons (from
what I remember)  I actually looked thisup in the archives yesterday, but
it took a while to find the correct month.  :-)

1)  One of the major reasons for the slack stuff was the 256 FILE limit on
some SVR4 platforms.  With the removal of the Buffered I/O from APR, this
need goes away.

2)  With threads, the rest of the reasons for slack go away too, because
processes  need to just play well.

Take a look at Dean's message in the November archive:

<Pine.LNX.4.21.9911221854350.31858-100000@twinlark.arctic.org>

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131