httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 14:00:55 GMT

> >The general feeling was that Apache is doing the buffering with the BUFF
> >code, and we don't need to do buffering twice in Apache (once in Apache
> >and once in APR).
>
> Yes, BUFF is used for files being served but ap_fgets is used for things
> like reading config files & without buffering you end up with a read()
> syscall or the platform equivalent for every individual byte. This may or
> may not have a noticable impact on performance in Apache (mod_auth may),
> you'd have to do some benchmarking to find out.

I know this is an issue.  I have plans to get rid of this and use ap_read
and ap_write instead of ap_fgets and ap_fgetch.  This may take a few days
to finish though.

I just can't see a good reason to support buffering in multiple places in
Apache/APR.  If we have everything use BUFF's, then we can remove a lot of
the ugly read/write code in APR, and we have a common usable way to
read/write files/networks/foo in the server.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131