httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: concerns about the recent error checking added to APR
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 17:15:52 GMT

> > But, APR has always had plans to spin off from Apache.  So the question
> > remains, do we provide the error checking when APR is not a part of
> > Apache.  BTW, the argument that Apache is APR's only client no longer
> > holds water with me.  I had three separate people walk up to me at
> > ApacheCon and tell me they had plans to port their apps to APR.
> >
> > Note, I am playing devil's advocate here, because I am still very torn on
> > this whole issue.
>
> APR will always be open source as will be its applications (at least the
> ones we care about :-). So the argument applies even when APR becomes a
> standalone ASF project.

<again, devil's advocate.>  (not sure what I think, but the conversation
is interesting)

I don't buy that the only projects we care about are open source.  I
always thought that the ASF's goal was to create good software that could
be used by anybody.  If it is true that the only software projects we care
about are open source then why does Apache run on any proprietary OS'es?

I agree APR will always be Open Source, but I disagree that the projects
that use APR will be, or that we will only care about those that are.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131