httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: concerns about the recent error checking added to APR
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 17:02:50 GMT

> I agree with Jeff on this one. Better to fail in an obvious and noticable
> way (a segfault).  IMHO, APR should trust the application developer to use
> the APIs correctly.  Otherwise you gorp up the code with all sorts of
> trivial error checking.  If the application doesn't use the API correctly,
> then it 'deserves what it gets' :-). Okay, I will make a generalization and
> like most generalizations, it doesn't always apply...   You should not add
> error checking to detect programming errors within the scope of the code you
> have access to and control (and can change). In other words, Apache and APR
> should trust the other to do the right thing.

But, APR has always had plans to spin off from Apache.  So the question
remains, do we provide the error checking when APR is not a part of
Apache.  BTW, the argument that Apache is APR's only client no longer
holds water with me.  I had three separate people walk up to me at
ApacheCon and tell me they had plans to port their apps to APR.

Note, I am playing devil's advocate here, because I am still very torn on
this whole issue.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131