httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: APR_EEXIST returns
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 18:19:33 GMT

> Why bother changing "return APR_EEXIST" to "return GetLastError()?"
> If the caller isn't supposed to be able to tell the difference, why
> change it?  Why not make ap_status_t boolean while you're at it?

Huh?????  Of course the error returned from the function makes a
difference.  Just because it isn't the same error on all platforms doesn't
mean you can just return any old error at all.  The error has to make
sense or the function that outputs a text string won't know what to do
with it.

> If you mean change "return APR_EEXIST" to "return
> SOME_SILLY_MACRO(GetLastError())" so that today or at some future point
> the caller (or some human looking at a traced return code) can tell
> whether it is some Microsoft error code or something else without
> looking at source code and/or consulting a crystal ball, then I'll be
> happy to make those changes.  Just commit a macro and I'm off to the
> races.

I mean everytime we are returning the non-sensical APR_EEXIST in the
windows code needs to be changed to return an error code that actually
makes sense for what happened.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131