httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/include apr_errno.h
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 14:57:09 GMT
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Brian Havard wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:35:21 -0400 (EDT), rbb@apache.org wrote:
>
> >To be honest, what scares me the most is that we are using the same values on
> >every system.
>
> Err, why? I see that as a feature!

It is a feature, but it doesn't work.  This is where APR started
originally with its error codes, and it was deemed not flexible enough.
Originally, all systems used the same values for reporting errors, and it
was flawed.  It couldn't work with Windows, and it looks like we are
heading back to that same condition now.

If we are going to have all platforms using the same definitions for those
macros, then why aren't we hardcoding in those numbers?  I agree, any
platform which can use the same numbers should, but I don't see it working
in the long run.

As I said in my last note, we have already been told that Windows error
values should have bit 29 set.  This doesn't do that.  If we use the same
values on all platforms, then we are assuming that bit 29 will be set for
APR errors across all platforms.

Again, as I said in my last note, this patch may be a step in the correct
direction, but I don't see it (in fact, it looks like a step backwards
to me) and I would like some clarification before we move forward.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131