httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/test testoc.c
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 03:08:54 GMT
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Is anyone else concerned about the amount of code duplicated in each os
> branch in APR?  Much of this code (maybe all of it, I've not looked closely)
> is exactly the same as the code in the Unix branch. I'm not picking on you
> David, there is duplicated code all over APR and I've been concerned about
> it for awhile now. I see much of this code diverging over time with fixes
> put in one place but not the other and we end up shooting the same bugs over
> and over for each platform. I would rather see a -few- #ifdefs rather than
> code duplicated because of minor platform differences.

Take a look at how BeOS does it's file I/O work.  This is how common code
is supposed to be shared among directories in APR.  Does the amount of
duplicated code worry me?  In a word, Nope.  If somebody wants to
duplicate code, then they are also taking on the responsibility to
maintain it.  If they don't, we just do what BeOS did for File I/O.  The
fact is, we are providing a simple way to share code between processes (in
fact, we have two ways depending on wether we are sharing the whole
directory or justa file or two), if a developer doesn't want to use those
methods, then I am willing to say the developer has a VERY good reason,
and I am not one to tell him/her to do differently.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131