httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: configure order and stuff (was: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure)
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:47:33 GMT
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> > > It would be nice if --disable-threads would be passed to further
> > > configuration when the prefork mpm is chosen by the user.  I guess
> > > this doesn't imply a certain configuration order.
> >
> > No, I disagree.  APR should always be configured for whatever the platform
> > supports.  Apache will just take advantage of what it needs.  IMHO.
>
> I agree with Ryan's disagreement... hehe :-)
>
> Per Manoj's email on this... there are separate decisions: do you
> enable/disable threading in the system (all components, as a whole), and
> which MPM do you want to select?
>
> We can have default MPMs based on the threading choice/default, and we can
> disallow combinations that somebody specified explicitly.
>
> And to bring in another thread: Ryan said that the MM and APR configures
> could happen in any order. Why is that? I thought APR used MM! That would
> imply that we'd want to configure/build MM before scooting up to the APR
> layer.

I finally figured out why it doesn't matter.  I had to think about it for
a minute or two.  :-)  APR uses MM on every platform that supports it, so
it doesn't matter if MM is configured first or second.  Again, I don't
care if we change the order, I'm just noting that between APR and MM, it
shouldn't really make a difference which is configured first.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131