httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject thread config (was: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure)
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 02:38:15 GMT
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > > It would be nice if --disable-threads would be passed to further
> > > configuration when the prefork mpm is chosen by the user.  I guess
> > > this doesn't imply a certain configuration order.
> >
> > No, I disagree.  APR should always be configured for whatever the platform
> > supports.  Apache will just take advantage of what it needs.  IMHO.
>
> I wonder about the notion that if we detect that the platform has
> threads then we're going to use threaded libraries and compile flags
> and such, even if the user has specified that apache shouldn't use
> threads.
>
> Example problem:  There is a little issue on FreeBSD where with prefork
> the main apache process thinks it is being nice and only waking up
> briefly every second but under the covers it is busy looping in the
> thread library and consuming almost all CPU*.  Meanwhile, the processes
> which are really "nice" probably aren't getting any CPU.
>
> *as of a few weeks ago on my FreeBSD 3.4 system
>
> Sure, this is "just a bug", but it isn't clear where the bug is
> anyway.  Aside from bugs, threaded libraries can be slower than normal
> on some systems.  Also, they are not used by nearly as much code so there
> may be issues.

Ryan has said before that he wants to be able to enable/disable features
of APR. So your situation of needing to disable threads "should be
possible."

I think Ryan was intending to say that the MPM selection process should
not impact how APR is configured. APR gets configured as it should
(possibly subject to --disable-foo switches), and then the MPM
configuration tries to "make do" with the result.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/