httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject configure order and stuff (was: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure)
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:37:22 GMT
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 rbb@apache.org wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > > Dunno why Ryan thinks APR should occur after MPM, if APR is intended to be
> > > self-contained...
> > >
> > > 1) configure MM
> > > 2) configure APR
> > > 3) configure Apache (and its MPMs)
> >
> > It would be nice if --disable-threads would be passed to further
> > configuration when the prefork mpm is chosen by the user.  I guess
> > this doesn't imply a certain configuration order.
>
> No, I disagree.  APR should always be configured for whatever the platform
> supports.  Apache will just take advantage of what it needs.  IMHO.

I agree with Ryan's disagreement... hehe :-)

Per Manoj's email on this... there are separate decisions: do you
enable/disable threading in the system (all components, as a whole), and
which MPM do you want to select?

We can have default MPMs based on the threading choice/default, and we can
disallow combinations that somebody specified explicitly.

And to bring in another thread: Ryan said that the MM and APR configures
could happen in any order. Why is that? I thought APR used MM! That would
imply that we'd want to configure/build MM before scooting up to the APR
layer.

Cheers,
-g

--