httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: autoconf? (was: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure)
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 18:07:26 GMT
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > Well, we do have some/a-lot of what we needed with the old setup.
> > Is it time to drop autoconf? To be honest, I think part of the
> > problem is that no one here is an autoconf expert, and we're
> > fumbling our way through this. At least with the old way, it
> > was simple shell, somewhat easy to grok and we wrote it, so we
> > were more in tune with it.
> >
> > But I don't know if scrapping autoconf right now is the answer. Maybe
> > w can streamline it and fix it and clean up how we use it. If after
> > we do that, we still think it sucks, or it's impossible to clean
> > it up sufficiently to make us happy, then we move on. I'm willing
> > to work on cleaning up the autoconf stuff. I'm no AC expert, but
> > I can play one on TV :)
>
> This seems rather premature and a half-knee-jerk.
>
> Yes, autoconf is inherently messy. No, it doesn't have to be gruesome.
> Yes, we have some cleaning up to do. No, we haven't pushed it too far.
>

> I just think we can do some cleaning and refinement (such as the recent
> round to torch the 'apaci' file). We can gain some more expertise. We can
> leverage others' expertise (Rasmus and Ralf to name two).
>
> None of the reasons for choosing autoconf have gone away. I think it is
> still a good choice. "But it's messy" is a short-term argument against our
> use of it.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think everybody has so far said this is
incredibly ugly and it needs to be fixed.  The way to fix it is start by
trying to clean up what we already have.  If that turns out to be
impossible to actually do or maintain, then rip it out and start over.  I
think everybody is all for trying to fix it first.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131