httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject autoconf? (was: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure)
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 18:08:28 GMT
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Well, we do have some/a-lot of what we needed with the old setup.
> Is it time to drop autoconf? To be honest, I think part of the
> problem is that no one here is an autoconf expert, and we're
> fumbling our way through this. At least with the old way, it
> was simple shell, somewhat easy to grok and we wrote it, so we
> were more in tune with it.
>
> But I don't know if scrapping autoconf right now is the answer. Maybe
> w can streamline it and fix it and clean up how we use it. If after
> we do that, we still think it sucks, or it's impossible to clean
> it up sufficiently to make us happy, then we move on. I'm willing
> to work on cleaning up the autoconf stuff. I'm no AC expert, but
> I can play one on TV :)

This seems rather premature and a half-knee-jerk.

Yes, autoconf is inherently messy. No, it doesn't have to be gruesome.
Yes, we have some cleaning up to do. No, we haven't pushed it too far.

I just think we can do some cleaning and refinement (such as the recent
round to torch the 'apaci' file). We can gain some more expertise. We can
leverage others' expertise (Rasmus and Ralf to name two).

None of the reasons for choosing autoconf have gone away. I think it is
still a good choice. "But it's messy" is a short-term argument against our
use of it.

Cheers,
-g

--