httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2000 18:15:01 GMT

> > What do you mean it blows it by making a half-assed guess?  Could oyu be a
> > bit more specific
>
> What I mean is that it does an AC_CHECK_FUNC on pthread_create() which
> fails on Tru64 because it doesn't include <pthread.h>. However,
> src/lib/apr/threads.mp4 has _already_ checked for pthread_create(). So,
> I don't understand why it is being done again.
>
> Oh, BTW, these things appear to be done is a pseudo-random order, so
> there's no guarantee that the MPM config will come after the APR config.
> AFAICS, that is, which isn't very far.

I seem to think that the APR configure script should always be run after
the MPM stuff, not before.  I think we are checking twice because I am
insisting that APR always be configurable as a separate module.  :-)

> > I think that autoconf is great when used for a simple program, but the
> > more complex the program, the more convoluted the autoconf stuff gets.  If
> > you can find a better way to configure this stuff, then I'm behind you.
>
> Our old way of doing it didn't appear to do a significantly worse job,
> and it was definitely significantly easier to understand.
>
> Alternatively, if we are allowed to assume Perl, I'll wager a _far_ more
> readable (and hence maintainable) testing-style configuration process
> could be written. If it hasn't been already.

I think we can assume Perl, so I say go for it.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131