httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: libtool in APR.
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2000 21:41:08 GMT

I have done something now that we should have done initially.  I have
applied the second of these patches, and run the configure script.  This
creates a directory that looks to me as if it is protected by the GPL.  I
may be wrong about this, but here is how I read this.

There are two separate and distinct projects in this tree currntly.  APR
and Apache.  APR would require libltdl in order to load pre-compiled
modules.  Apache would use libtool to compile and link modules.  Here's
the problem.  All of the special exceptions say that if you include the
files as a part of another program that use libtool, then you can use
whatever license you wish.  However, in APR, we do not currently (and have
no plans to) use libtool to build our binaries.

This means that if we use libtool as it is currently being used in these
packages, we are using GPL'ed code.  Now, as I have said, IANAL, so I
could be completely wrong.  I would like somebody with more experience
with Licenses to look into this for me.

Thanks,

Ryan

406 29th St.