httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/include ap_ctype.h
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:51:19 GMT
On 17 Mar 2000 dirkx@locus.apache.org wrote:

>   +
>   +# Specify a default charset for all pages sent out. This is
>   +# always a good idea and opens the door for future internationalisation
>   +# of your web site, should you ever want it. Specifying it as
>   +# a default does little harm; as the standart dictates that a page
>   +# is in iso-8859-1 (latin1) unless specified otherwise. I.e. you
>   +# are merely stating the obvious. There are also some security
>   +# reasons in browsers, related to javascript and URL parsing
>   +# which encourage to always set a default char set.
>   +#
>   +AddDefaultCharset	ISO-8859-1

Eck.  No no.

This is a major problem because it overrides any charsets specified
in a meta tag in the document.  This means it magically breaks a lot
of sites and results in the normal situation being one in which users
can not do anything to get the proper charset in their pages, since they
can't alter the config file and they can't override it with a meta tag.

I do _NOT_ think this is appropriate to enable by default and had never
even thought about that being done when I wrote it.

BTW, I note that in 2.0 it seems that if I get "/" on a server without
sending any accept-language, then I get an directory index.  That isn't
good...  It could just be the system I'm trying it on, which has a few other
2.0 bogons.