httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: httpd-docs CVS modules
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:31:17 GMT
On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Why:
>
> 1. Because we've got a lot of volunteers interested in working
>    specifically on the documentation, not on the code; in addition
>    to fixers and doc-writers, we've got a number of people
>    eager/willing to translate the actual documentation into other
>    languages
> 2. With the docs in separate modules, we can different (looser)
>    commit lists

As I asked before, why can't you set things up so you can do that as
things are now?

> 3. "httpd-docs-v1" and "-v2" because of the mess we've had
>    with the docs in the past (like the 1.2/1.3/2.0 header/footer
>    confusion)

I'm not sure I understand.

So you are saying that if we create an apache-2.1 module, then it should
still use httpd-docs-v2?  And why is it "apache" vs. "httpd-docs"?  Why
wouldn't there be a docs tree to mirror each code tree?  And why invent a
new naming scheme when we have one already for the code trees?

So then 2.1 docs would be a branch in the v2 docs while 2.1 would probably
(if tradition is followed) be a separate module?  Sounds confusing to me.

> 4. With doc-fixers having direct access to the appropriate bits of
>    CVS, patches don't have to queue up (and get ignored for months)
>    in STATUS

This is reason 1 and 2 all over.

So it seems that there is only one stated reason to do this: to give other
people commit access to the docs.  Can you give some examples of who?
And why is it necessary to split it into a separate module to do so?

> Since this was discussed earlier, this message is sort of a
> pro forma 'heads up!' to warn of the change, and to give people
> a last chance to stop/change/improve the process.

The above details were _not_ discussed, and as I recall it certainly
wasn't a overwhelming "go for it".  As I recall, I asked the same
questions before but don't recall getting any answers...