httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Randy Terbush" <ra...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: binary backwards compatability.
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:39:12 GMT
> Trying to create a mechanism to allow modules to execute on future
> versions is prone to error and will be amazingly prone to feature creep.
> I've heard about stabilizing APIs, only adding new APIs, feature
> capability sets and versioning, etc. Sheesh. With all that complexity,
> we'll add more bugs than if we just made the vendor recompile their dang
> code.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

Greg, I'm a bit surprised by this attitude. It is non-trivial to stay
current with Apache minor releases. It is also quite silly to have to offer
modules for 1.3.0-12 just to support a difference in MMN with no significant
difference in the API. With more third-party module vendors offering their
applications on Apache, we only increase public acceptance of this platform.
That is a great thing for the project.