httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:04:44 GMT
gstein@locus.apache.org wrote:
>  this is California. what to _you_ think the weather is?

Better than yesterday, anyway :-)

>       * Provide a sane API for handling the request's environment variables.
>  +
>  +    * configuration option to use *DBM
>  +
>  +    * add SDBM into src/lib/sdbm/ as a default/fallback DBM implementation.
>  +      SDBM is used by Perl, mod_dav, mod_sssl, others for basic DBM support.

I've been talking about this with Dirk recently. We need a decent
general-purpose hash table implementation to use for the name-based
virtual host index (and it could replace the existing hash for the
IP-based vhost index) and the environment and the file index used by
mod_mmap_static etc. etc. Dirk suggested using Berkeley DB (it'd have
to be 1.85 or 1.86 for license reasons; most people use 1.85 to avoid
file format compatibility problems). It has some significant technical
advantages over SDBM (endian-independent, no size limits) which make
me prefer it; Is SDBM more portable or does it have some other
attribute that makes it preferable?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@demon.net    dot@dotat.at