httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Weber Sylvia <>
Subject AW: Announce: NTLM authentication module
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:09:21 GMT
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
1.3.12 (we use the module with 1.3.4 and 1.3.12)

> I know it will be rejected
> out of hand on it's own - so if you are willing to implement
> 1.3.12 changes as needed,
why certainly ! (unfortunatlely I red the style guide after code

> I'm willing to port it all to 2.0.
great :-)

>Do you have objections to porting the samba code to C?
it's native C code, borrowed from the samba project (
> I'm considering, if it is possible, to make
> Challenge/Response a seperate
> layer or module from NT user authentication.  In this way we
> could possibly
> offer Challenge/Response on top of an htpasswd file, a
> database (vauge, I
> know), or the NT domain.  Perhaps a 2.0 feature alone.  Your thoughts?
At the moment I've implemented the following scenario:
If the client sends a challenge/response request, I forward it to
the Domain Controller. I have not implemented a full challenge/response
protocol myself. This method of "proxiing" challenge/response was used in
samba versions 1.9x. In samba 2.0 the people down there have implemented
real challenge/response on the samba file server. They now use MS-RPC to
call the domain controller. I want to implement this, but have no real
timeframe at the moment. With this mechanism it would be easy to separate
the layers challenge/response protocol and user/password verification.

> One last comment... please avoid richtext/html messages to
> mailing lists
> and newsgroups entirely, too many interested readers still use console
> based news/mail readers.
I apologize, this is a bug/feature of Microsoft Exchange!
>And thank you much for the submission
thanks for your help!
> Bill
I'll be off till tuesday.