httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: coding style == religion
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:36:39 GMT
At 09:16 AM 04/21/2000, Brian Havard wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:59:47 -0400, Greg Marr wrote:
>
> >Oh great, so Brian thinks my practices are ugly, Greg thinks I
> should
> >be considered insane, and I drive Ben nuts.
>
>Well, I think you're insane too but I'm more diplomatic than Greg :)

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.  :)

>I think you've got pretty much everyone covered there.

Good, I wouldn't want anyone to feel left out.

>Everyone has their own personal tastes, that's why we have a style
>guide. I
>have my own preferences (EG I prefer size 2 indents) but I'm willing
>to follow the established standards when working on a group project
>and expect
>others to do likewise.

We have a similar guide where I work, but it's a bit less strict than
Apache's, from what I remember.  It uses a 4 space indent, and no
tabs, but leaves many of the whitespace and brace placement issues up
to the individual author.

I really don't care about the size of the indents.  I used to use the
default style provided by emacs's c-mode for the most part, which was
rather strange at times, and use a 2 space indent.  I've always found
that having the braces separate, and at the same level as the code it
contains makes it easier to read, but there are people in my
group  that put the braces at the same level as the code in which the
block is contained, and other people who place the opening brace on
the same line as the if/for/while.  My personal tastes are what makes
the code the easiest for me to read, which makes my work easier, but
I try not to push my styles on others.  (except when it comes to no
tabs...)

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu