httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject RE: DLL Base addresses (was: .dsp link options)
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:23:25 GMT
At 09:52 PM 4/18/00 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>I'm leaning on the reference table.  I like explicit intent,
>but I'm mostly concerned about:
>
>I'll take Greg as pro-ref table.

Correct, and here's why:

1) it doesn't require that all the files be available at the time that the
base addresses are fixed.  If someone adds a module later that they left
out of the original compile, editbin will have to be run on the entire
collection again.

2) the results won't vary from machine to machine, or even compile to
compile.  With the editbin version, it depends on which modules they
compiled, which makes tracking down crash addresses just as difficult as
not having any base addresses at all.

3) setting the base address at compile/link time [is|seems to be] faster
than running another program at the end, and people here are known to be
concerned about build performance.