httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: Massive changes to Win32 makefile
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 13:19:32 GMT
At 02:43 AM 04/04/2000, TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:
>It just seems a little weird to see all the fuss about how to
>provide generic build support for a (Win32) version of Apache which
>still bears a disclaimer that says ( in essence )...
>
>'Hey folks... this isn't even really real yet and might never be
>because we don't like Windows at all but we are just supplying this
>version because we feel like we are supposed to'.

That's only for the 95/98 versions.  The NT/2000 versions, as of 2.0,
are considered full-fledged versions.

>Believe me... anyone who is really seriously trying to build your
>stuff on Win32 either already has MSVC and can 'Export makefile'
>themselves or knows how to figure out your UNIX makefiles so just
>don't worry about it.
>
>Just release the MSVC .DSP and .DSW and forget about figuring out
>the vagarities of UNIX versus Win32 make formats.

I don't think UNIX ever came into this discussion.  The discussion
was simply whether or not we include the exported MAK files so people
can build Apache without launching the IDE.  Now that we know this is
possible without exporting the MAK files, it isn't an issue.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu