httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/misc/unix errorcodes.c
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:54:15 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Brian Havard wrote:
> > And on the reformatting, can you avoid hard TABs? They're actually a no-no
> > according to the style guide (Section 1 - "Tab characters should never be
> > used.").
>
> Oops. Must have missed that part. I'll go change my editor (XEmacs). No
> problem here... the Python interpreter is (moving to) following the same
> no-tab rule in the C code. The Python source code is already no-tab in the
> standard distro.

The no-tab rule has never been enforced (nor voted on, ISTR). What we
have enforced is that tabs, if used, are width 8.

> > Another ugly practice that seems to be showing up is writing if's & for's
> > without a space between the if/for & the (. The first I saw I thought it
> > was just a typo but it occurrs in 28 different .c files now.
>
> Yah. This is one of the absolute worst things that I've ever seen in the
> years that I've been coding. Brace placement? That's for sissies. People
> who write code that pretends "if" and "for" is a function should simply be
> regarded as insane. It's even worse than people who put a space between a
> function name and the open paren (e.g. x = foo (arg); ). Bleck.

Jeez. Leaving out a space is "pretending its a function"? I don't think
so, its just a completly correct abhorrence of wasteful whitespace.

The one that drives me nuts really is pretending to be a function,
though: "return(0);". Augh.

Cheers,

Ben.

--