httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject httpd-docs CVS modules
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:21:38 GMT
This was discussed a couple of months ago (and I think consensus
reached that it was a Good Thing), but I got busy with ApacheCon
and didn't get a round tuit.

I would like to move the httpd docs out of the code tree and into
separate CVS modules IMMEDIATELY (like, before 2.0a3).

1. Create CVS modules httpd-docs-v1 and httpd-docs-v2
2. Tag the current /htdocs/... subtrees in apache-{1.3,2.0}
3. Copy those subtrees into the corresponding httpd-docs-*
   CVS directories
4. Modify the 'how to release' instructions to include tagging
   and exporting the docs from the new modules
5. 'cvs rm' the /htdocs/... files from the 1.3 and 2.0 modules
6. Bring the apache-devsite/apidoc/... tree into both
7. Update the site to point to the new per-version
   API docco location
8. 'cvs rm' the apache-devsite/apidoc/... tree
9. Checkout into and /docs-2.0/
   (might want to wait on this until the bit is
   straightened out)

1. Because we've got a lot of volunteers interested in working
   specifically on the documentation, not on the code; in addition
   to fixers and doc-writers, we've got a number of people
   eager/willing to translate the actual documentation into other
2. With the docs in separate modules, we can different (looser)
   commit lists
3. "httpd-docs-v1" and "-v2" because of the mess we've had
   with the docs in the past (like the 1.2/1.3/2.0 header/footer
4. With doc-fixers having direct access to the appropriate bits of
   CVS, patches don't have to queue up (and get ignored for months)
   in STATUS

Since this was discussed earlier, this message is sort of a
pro forma 'heads up!' to warn of the change, and to give people
a last chance to stop/change/improve the process.
#ken    P-)}

Apache Software Foundation  <>