httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Expires: header and custom error documents
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:02:51 GMT
Curt Sampson wrote:

> I've been checking out the behaviour of mod_expires.c, and I've
> noticed something that, for me at least, is somewhat unpleasant.
> There are a couple of lines right at the beginning of add_expires()
> reading:
>
>     if (ap_is_HTTP_ERROR(r->status))  /* Don't add Expires headers
>                                          to errors */
>         return DECLINED;
>
> We use the ErrorDocument directive here to remap the standard 503
> error to a custom error page when the java servers backing our
> apache server are down for maintenance. Unfortunately, this means
> that when we come back up, sometimes people checking our site again
> just get the cached error document and think we're still down (most
> people out there don't think to do a reload, apparently).
>
> Is there some reason that mod_expire declines to add an expires header
> to an error document? There's nothing in the spec that prohibits it,
> as far as I can see, and a web search finds no explanation of why it
> might not be permitted.

The closest thing I can see is section 13.4 in RFC 2616, which implies
that certain status responses shouldn't be marked cacheable without due
consideration.

I would guess that this is a debatable point.  In the meantime,
I suggest you work around it with an as-is file or a live on-demand
(possibly CGI) document that includes the desired header field(s).

> Plese ensure you cc replies to me, as I'm not on this list.

In the future, please be on the list if you want a response. :-)
--
#ken    P-)}