httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: pool vs. context
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:01:32 GMT
dean gaudet wrote:

> i think you're still missing my point... just move the "context"
> stuff, the userdata stuff, into the pool structure.  there's no
> reason to get rid of it, i'm willing to assume there's a need for it.

I'm not going to fight it any more either.  I'll just make this
comment:

A pool is and always has been a memory management structure.
Period.  Since they have lifetimes, you can tie things to them,
like cleanups -- but those are clients of pools, taking advantage
of an attribute, not part of the pool structure.

What you apparently want to do is say: A pool is a garbage pail,
mostly for memory management but with some other crap thrown in.
Which is why I've resisted calling the mm+stuff structure a pool,
but supported it being given a different name.

Rationally named structures, reentrant libraries, hierarchical
error definitions, namespace design.. obviously, some things
Man Was Not Meant To Learn.
--
#ken    P-(}