httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Configuration modules...
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 19:31:34 GMT
rbb@apache.org wrote:

> After a VERY quick glance at what you have post, I think this fits
> perfectly into what we proposed.  In fact, ldap configs were one of the
> reasons that we are interested in doing this.  I plan on starting this
> work later today.  Hopefully I'll be able to post the code for step one
> today or Monday.

There were a few things that stuck in my mind while I was thinking it
through. The first is the idea that it is possible to "reuse" LDAP
objects in multiple configurations. If you imagine a configuration where
a single virtual host is mirrored on many machines. One LDAP object can
exist to represent that virtual host, linked to from many apacheGlobal
objects representing many load balancing or redundant servers.

Another thing I wanted to make sure was possible was comments - one
could place "pieces" of website or even sub-website configuration in
their own LDAP objects and use the standard "description" LDAP attribute
to comment each bit.

A combination of both config files and config LDAP (and others) should
be possible - each webserver might have it's own httpd.conf file, with
common configuration linked to LDAP.

Regards,
Graham