httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Harrie Hazewinkel <har...@libero.it>
Subject Re: Configuration modules...
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:23:01 GMT
Hi,

Costin Manolache wrote:
[snip]

> It would be very usefull to allow some form of re-configuration
> without restart.
[snip]

This could be done with for instance, SNMP. I already have
done for some configuration directives with this approach.

The approach is simple (this describes how it is implemented in 1.3)
by making use of variables in shared memory.
1) The mother process reads/configures during configuration
	as normal.
2) The required variables go into shared memory
	(I extended the scoreboard). The mother process is now
	not allowed to change the variables in shared memory anymore.
3) The SNMP agent gets forked off. The SNMP-agent is now
	the only one who may read and write the variables in
	shared memory.
4) Staring normal operations of the children where the children
	only read the variables from the shared memory.

With respect to the messages describing the internal
representations also SNMP would requiring something like
that. I only extended the scoreboard to have a minimum
impact of the server-code resulting in a small patch
for the SNMP module.

[snip]
Harrie
 mailto:harrie@libero.it
   http://digilander.iol.it/harrie/
  phone: +39-0331974135
 postal: via Galilei 13, 21018 Sesto Calende (VA), Italy