httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: ap_status_t for Win32
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2000 21:11:53 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Win32, Microsoft says that the OS can return any error value except
> when bit 29 is on.  Some sample code posted previously has played with
> bit 29 via masks; other sample code (like what I posted this morning)
> has played with bit 29 via offsets to be added.  Regardless of the
> mechanism, it is clear that bit 29 is important if we need to be able
> to represent certain OS error codes in ap_status_t.  The ones that
> need to be represented are the ones that can't be mapped to the
> appropriate APR errno-style return code.

This is giving me an incredible sensation of deja vu (but fear not, it
was in another existence, so you are not to blame). Anyway, let me just
say that when I researched this question many moons ago, the bit 29
thing was also in OS/2 (in fact, most of Windoze was also in OS/2, but
with three more letters in front of everything), but there was
absolutely no sensible way to do this on 'nix. Except pragmatically, of
course. For which I recommend setting (or not setting, depending on
inversion preference) bit 29.

Cheers,

Ben.

--