httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sh...@isupportlive.com
Subject Re: Maintenance of mod_proxy and async i/o
Date Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:31:56 GMT
I don't know specifically what dean was proposing, but my proposal is
something like this.  With mod_proxy you can eleviate the strain of
having lots of big fat apache proccesses laying around.  Now you have
smaller ones, but the underlying problem of one process for each
request still exists... so there is the context switching overhead,
and there is the memory consumption of these processes.

With async i/o basically a process fills the kernel buffer then moves
on.  (Well, basically, this is a oversimplification)  So a single
thread can handle a lot of requests... several hundred, if not over a
thousand with a tweaked kernel.  (under linux, I'm not familiar with
win32, or other unixen)  What I'm proposing specifically would have
several different methods by which to send data, for different
platforms, etc.  Select could be the catch all, but signal queues
could be used on the platforms that are capable of that.

Also I got to thinking about it..., and this really doesn't have to be
"part of" mod_proxy.  Rather a module that any other module/core could
connect to do it's "dirty work".

Sorry for the late response.., I checked the list several times but my
response didn't get in for some time it seems :-).  Anyway, I'll be
more on top of this in the future.

Thanks,
Shane.