httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/build
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2000 08:36:14 GMT
On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 02:40:05PM -0400, wrote:
> Because I don't always WANT to install the binary.  I have three or four
> projects on my machine currently, I have a common config file for all of
> them, so I always use the same prefix.  I also keep on "good" binary in
> the installed directory so I can compare to what it outputs.  Installing
> everytime I build is not the answer.
> Why are we re-building ANYTHING if nothing has changed since the last time
> we built?

I set it up that way to try to maintain the existing behavior I saw
with the configure system, where any make at all would cause
buildmark.c to get rebuilt. I guess that as long as there's no reason
to build httpd, we might as well not rebuild buildmark.c. I can
understand the intent of recording when the last make command was run,
though. If someone likes the current behavior, please speak up.

With automake, I knew how to fix this. I don't know how to fix it in
the current build system, though.

View raw message