httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: minor pollution
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2000 05:38:38 GMT
My opinion is

  1) anything that looks like it should be static, make it so and
     we can revert it later if it breaks something.  As I recall, the
     only things that might be global for no apparent reason are the
     ones we made global for mod_perl, so you (Doug) are probably
     better able to judge that than the rest of us.

  2) The ap_ prefix should appear on any global object symbols and
     macro functions that might earlier have been, or later be,
     global functions.

  3) The AP_ prefix should be used on simple #defines, except for
     APLOG_ which is still too painful to fix.

I don't like the APR_ prefix.  Even if they were entirely separate
projects, httpd and APR should have the same namespace at all times
in order to encourage the movement of generic functionality into APR
without screwing over 3rd-party developers.  But I probably don't
have enough autoconf karma to get away with fixing that.

....Roy