httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: config hook design
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:05:57 GMT

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 03:27:49AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> 1) Hook the reading of a directive + args from an Apache-style config file
> 3) Hook between tree construction and tree processing

You've seen my alternative suggestions to these.

> 2) Hook the insertion of a node into the config tree
>
>    - independent of the input mechanism
>    - the file is not available
>    - provides for "immediate" execution of directives
>    - useful for AddModule/LoadModule

My opinion is still solidifying on all this. I'm in random rambling
stage.

Are there cases where this is useful besides these two directives? I
think it gets confusing to have ordering skewed with this kind of
hook, so I'd rather avoid it. Sounds like you would too.

I'm actually leaning towards more of a configuration language where
ordering is irrelevant. ISTR that this isn't the case in the current
config structure, but I'm not too clueful on what's in the code right
now.

Now, the question is then how to allow LoadModule/AddModule
constructs. If we didn't have to tell the user when there were unknown
directives present, this would be easy enough, but unfortunately, I
guess we have to prevent users from shooting themselves in the foot.

Hmmmm, though that could be the job of our config file
preprocessor...