httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: mod_proxy patch for 1.3.12
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:45:52 GMT
>Is anyone of the opinion we should not commit Graham's HTTP/1.1 patch
>for the mod_proxy into the 1.3 tree? I've seen little discussion of this
>since the original post.

I've looked at it a few times, but it is basically too big of a patch
to review, partly because the proxy code almost but not quite duplicates
a bunch of the httpd functionality in odd ways, but also because there
is no information given for most of the changes.

For example, why the new function for overlaying tables?  We've tried
several of these in the past and found memory problems with each one.
I can't tell if this one is needed or not without a full understanding
of the pool assumptions being made, and I can't even remember half of
the issues that need to be checked.

Basically, my opinion is that no further changes of any kind should
be made to the 1.3 tree.  If you can get 3 volunteers to do a real
code review of that branch, fine, but I don't have the time to do
that and keep up (barely) with the pace of 2.0 development.  So the
answer is: commit it when you get three +1s from people who have
actually tested the code.  People who just think its a good idea
don't count -- I think its a good idea, but that doesn't make it worth
doing a series of 1.3 releases just to make it work.

....Roy