httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: coding style == religion
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:16:53 GMT
On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:59:47 -0400, Greg Marr wrote:

>Oh great, so Brian thinks my practices are ugly, Greg thinks I should
>be considered insane, and I drive Ben nuts.

Well, I think you're insane too but I'm more diplomatic than Greg :)

>There's nothing like a
>good religious war over coding styles.  It's almost as bad as vi
>fanatics vs. emacs fanatics, or Unix vs. Windows.  :)
>
>My personal style preference is no space after if, for, and while,
>spaces around all math/logic operators, ((expr) && (expr)) for
>non-trivial exprs, for clarity, no space between a function name and
>the paren, and return(value); or just return;.  I also put braces on
>separate lines, lined up with the level of the code it contains, and
>never use tabs.  Gee, I wonder how many people's religions that
>violates.

I think you've got pretty much everyone covered there.

Everyone has their own personal tastes, that's why we have a style guide. I
have my own preferences (EG I prefer size 2 indents) but I'm willing to
follow the established standards when working on a group project and expect
others to do likewise.