httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: Should ap_bread et. al. be modified to work with async i/o APIs?
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:14:04 GMT
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:00:02 -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:

>The anonymous pipes Windows uses to talk to CGI scripts are always blocking
>(and cannot be set non-blocking). I'm trying to fix this in Apache 2.0 and
>have gotten bogged down in uglyness.

The situation is the same on OS/2, that is unnamed pipes cannot be
non-blocking, just like files can't.

How about another tactic for handling stalled CGIs? We could spawn a
watchdog thread that would kill the CGI if it stopped responding for too
long. The CGI's death would close the pipes causing them to unblock with
EOF.

Just an idea....