httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Passing ENV vars to sub-configures
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 00:07:55 GMT
pg@sweng.stortek.com wrote:

> We're looking at it differently.  Assignments that appear preceding a
> command on the same line, as in your "./configure" example, and in
> my "/bin/ksh" example are exported.  Assignments that appear on a
> line solo, as in your "sh" example are not exported, as you correctly
> observe.  In your first example, I'd expect the three variables
> to be exported within the environment of configure.

Inline assignments are only guaranteed to be available in the exact
subshell that the command runs in. After that, it may or may not
be available to it's subshells. Most right-thinking shells _do_
mark it as exported when inline, but not all... Hence the
problem. I seem to recall that inline assignments _used_ to
be possible at the end as well (./configure CC=gcc) but that's
a LOOOOONG time ago. Of course, shells that have this particular
problem will most likely choke on their small input buffer
sizes anyway sooooo..... it may be a non issue since to get
configure to work, they need to use ksh/bash/whatever which
do export.
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"