httpd-dev mailing list archives

From p.@sweng.stortek.com
Subject Re: Passing ENV vars to sub-configures
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:56:47 GMT
In a recent note, Jim Jagielski said:

> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:41:16 -0400 (EDT)
>
> pg@sweng.stortek.com wrote:
> >
> > In a recent note, Jim Jagielski said:
> >
> > > Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

> > > They are placed in the environment but not _exported_.
> > >
> >     pg@sanitas:334$ GLOBAL=Global /bin/ksh
> >
> You're looking at it wrong.
>
> Do this:
>
>     $ sh
>     $ FOOBAR='test'
>     $ set
>     $ sh
>     $ set
>
> you will note that FOOBAR is not around in the 2nd shell. Otherwise,
> what is the need for export???

We're looking at it differently.  Assignments that appear preceding a
command on the same line, as in your "./configure" example, and in
my "/bin/ksh" example are exported.  Assignments that appear on a
line solo, as in your "sh" example are not exported, as you correctly
observe.  In your first example, I'd expect the three variables
to be exported within the environment of configure.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL