httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Passing ENV vars to sub-configures
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:08:43 GMT
One problem with the current configure setup is that env. variables
used at the top level aren't passed to the lower level configures.
For example,

    CC="c89" CFLAGS="-O5" LIBS="-lflurbl" ./configure

does not result in those settings for CC/CFLAGS/LIBS being used
for APR and MM's configure process. I see a few ways of handling
this...

One way is to assume which ones will be used and then be sure
to export those in Apache's configure. Another is to tell
people that they need to be exported before calling configure
(but that's really ugly). The best solution, IMO, is similar to
how PHP4 does it. Each "sub-configure" is actually a very small
template that 'include's the real tests in a m4 file and then
calls those top-level test macros. For example, APRs configure
could be a simple:

    sinclude('ahhahh')
    LIBAPR_HEADER_CHECKS
    LIBAPR_FUNCTION_CHECKS
    .
    .
    .

the advantage is that Apache's configure.in can do the exact same
thing, so basically Apache's configure actually build's APRs
configure "internally" so to speak. This means that all env.
vars are used... The one disadvantage is MM. This would involve
changing that to follow the same setup, but then we get into the
situation of keeping our local copy and the official copy in sync.

Comments?
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"