httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: Buffered I/O in APR
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:43:26 GMT
On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 04:34:20PM -0400, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Based on the mail on the list over the last few days, there seem to be
> a few problems with buffered I/O.  Everybody seems to want it in APR
> however.

I'd mildly disagree with this. Not as strongly as with the other
stuff.

> I have a suggestion.  Brian volunteered the buffering code that OS/2 is
> currently using.  I say we add all of the buffering logic to the current
> APR file I/O code.  Apache won't use it at all, because Apache already
> does it's own buffering.  Anytime a file is opened with the APR_BUFFERED
> flag (currently removed), we use the buffering logic, otherwise we don't.

I'll advocate my buffering-as-an-IOL position again. I don't see a
problem with the buffered calls having a different API than the
unbuffered calls, and this will keep the unbuffered calls simple.
Also, since IOLs will eventually move into APR anyway, the APIs don't
even have to be diferent.