httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: concerns about the recent error checking added to APR
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:55:22 GMT
On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 09:38:56AM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > I wouldn't say this if C had exceptions, though.
>
> Okay, this begs the question. Why?

Don't take this as an endorsement of switching to any exception-based
language!  The above was an offhand comment. :) I also only know about
Java exception semantics.

All this error return nonsense becomes vastly easier when you have
exceptions. If APR sees a problem with the way the app does something
20 calls deep, it can just throw an exception, which will percolate up
to the point where the app can deal with it, or we at least get a
pretty looking stack trace so the developer can track down the bug.

We'd also no longer have to worry about how to partition the error-code
space, each exception is just a different type.

And finally, because the exception-based language is slow enough, it
doesn't matter if we throw in lots of != NULL checks.

- Manoj
Who is just having fun. No language flames please.